Sunday, November 30, 2014

11/24/2014 - In Which ShelbyPooh Feasts Upon the Words of Christ


Hey Y'all :)

This week was kinda a rough one... We had three conferences technically... Haha so our numbers weren't very high this week :/ but it was still good in a lot of ways! Monday night we had a lesson with our investigator Monica who is coming to church but not keeping her commitments. Me and Sis. Perrins felt really strongly to make baptism and receiving the gift of the holy Ghost more important than we have been with her. We wanted her to really commit to it, especially cuz it would be an awesome Christmas gift to get this Christmas! :) So we watched The Restoration video with her and she really felt the spirit and then we talked about the holy ghost and she really opened up about some things and felt like she knew for a while that this path she is on is what Heavenly Father wants her to do and He is helping her turn her life around for the better and for her daughters so that they don't have to go through the same things she has gone through. So she got emotional and the spirit was so strong and we invited her to pray with us there to ask Heavenly Father if her getting baptized is right for her to do in the next month. We said we wanted her to continue to do that and then hopefully by next time we visit her and teach her we'll have her on a date to be baptized!! :) So that went really well! 

Tuesday we tracted a lot! Our teaching pool is really small right now so we're trying to go find those people that are prepared to hear the gospel! Tracting is not my favorite and it's hard for me to teach and testify someone right on their doorstep, but I'm still trying to get better at it and I'm learning to love it! Except.... that day was rough. I got my first real bash with this one man and I felt very overwhelmed and felt like I wanted to cry when we were done. Haha everyone is so knowledgeable with the Bible and so when people start to argue you immediately feel the spirit leave and it's just awful. Ha While we were out though on Tuesday during the day we visited a member but then went out and were walking out of the neighborhood and saw this one lady who was going on a walk when it was pretty cold out! We stopped and talked with her and she was super friendly, her name was Suzanne, and she knew about the missionaries cuz she's had some come by before and talk with her. She lives alone but she is from Montreal Canada and is going to a Methodist church. And she is French-Canadian and was a hoot! I was pretty impressed with myself because after talking with her a bit she then brought up, "All of the missionaries I meet are so gorgeous! Even the boys! But you ladies... ahhh you are so gorgeous! I want to know what you eat?!" So I set myself up for a good comeback.... I held up my Book of Mormon and said, "Suzanne... We 'feast' upon the words of Christ." ;) and Sister Perrins busted up laughing and Suzanne was laughing and was like yeah I have one of those books but I'll have to read it again. So I felt pretty great after that visit ;) haha 

Wednesday during the afternoon we helped a member who just recently got home from her mission in Italy actually make some real Italian pasta for a young women activity that we actually got invited to speak at as well. Then after we helped her we went to a members home to do a practice lesson, or role-play with her. Doing that with the members is really great! I've gained a greater appreciation for role-playing and member visits cuz it prepares me for when I actually get to teach investigators or go tracting! :) So then we had Young Womens that night and talked about the day in the life of a missionary again kinda like what we did with the activity day girls. But we had other members come and talk about their missions and stuff so it was fun! One member served in the Utah Temple Square mission and brought all types of Jello with her for the girls to eat ;) haha I hadn't had Jello since I got here! So it was yummy and I miss Utah Jello... haha Everyone in this ward is either from Utah, has family in Utah, went to BYU, or are BYU fans and so I really feel like Heavenly Father knew I would love Suwanee because of all the members and the connection I have with them! ;) 

Thursday I had my first zone conference! It was a long day but it was great and really inspiring! I always learn a lot from these conferences and so I'm really grateful for them :) But just a heads up there is something that the church is bringing up and doing for Christmas... I literally had tears in my eyes when they introduced it to us. It takes effect on the 28th of November so look up christmas.mormon.org when you have the chance... ;) It's incredible, I'm so excited for it!! But anyway then the rest of the day was kinda basic. Btw... we had fried chicken/some kind of chicken dish for 4 nights in a row... if that doesn't explain the south, I don't know what does y'all. 

Friday I had another meeting! It was the one month follow up meeting with everyone that I came out with! I got to see all my MTC friends!! :D It was awesome, I missed all of them and they are all doing great! so once again, the meeting was just inspiring as always and I learn so much so I can't wait to put the things that I've learned into affect this next week! Then we had lunch and then we tracted and we actually might have a couple potentials from our tracting on Friday... We met a 32 year old named Sabrina who happened to be at her mother's house helping her paint when we knocked on the door and she was a major Baptist church minister/ into ministry or something but left her church feeling as if God was calling her into doing something else. We barely met her but she started opening up to us and started crying and kept saying "I don't know why I'm crying, I barely know you, does this happen to you guys often?" And we just sit there saying "It's okay, you're fine" but thinking in our heads "It's the spirit, this does happen a lot" haha so we gave her a Book of Mormon and told her to read a chapter and pray to ask God if this was something He wanted her to look into and then give us a call. It was awesome!! She is really spiritual and has great faith :) so we hope for the best! And then of course weekly planning finished our day off! 

Saturday we had to finish some weekly planning and then we tracted the majority of the day. One of the families in our ward, the Ketchems, who is the Filipino and the Japanese family, invited our investigators Maddie and Joel ( the really tough ones) to dinner for a Filipino dishh that night! And then come with us straight to stake conference that night! They agreed and came! Maddie went to the Philippines for a humanitarian trip for 11 weeks a couple years ago so her and Sister Ketchem really connected with that and they have befriended them and helped us teach them! Anyway, we had chicken adobo and pansit and lots of rice! :) Everything was so yummy and it really reminded me and gave me a glimpse of what my best friend in the Philippines is dealing with... ;) haha I learned how to eat with just a spoon and fork and no knife too. We had fun! so then we went to stake conference and it was really good except Maddie and Joel added 20 more questions onto the ones they already had..... Which isn't a bad thing. Questions aren't bad but they aren't feeling the spirit and receiving revelation!!! So we're still trying to help them with that for next time. 

Yesterday was a good sunday. We were fasting so that we could find more people to teach! Then we had stake conference and the talks were really good! Then we tracted and found another guy who invited us back over on Tuesday to teach him a little more. Little tender mercies like that is what keeps me going some days :) Then we had dinner with some members and did another member visit that night. I'm meeting more people in the ward and building relationships with them already and that makes me happy! 

This week I get to go on exchanges for the first time on Tuesday! so sadly, I don't get to go teach that one guy we met yesterday :/ but I'm excited for my first exchange! And this week is Thanksgiving! I'm all set for that as well, the members are so nice and we get fed very well here :) haha So I will be having a great Thanksgiving dinner and we plan to do more member visits. For our dinner messages at dinner appointments though, lately we've been sharing a part from "Christ" in the Bible dictionary and then having people tell why they are grateful for Christ and then committing them to bring Christ up in conversation to friends and family who aren't members of our church to just talk to them about Him. So I encourage y'all to do that as well, especially as we are reflecting why we are grateful for Him and all our our many blessings this Thanksgiving! :) So I hope you all can do that and I hope you all have a great thanksgiving! Love you all and I'm grateful for all the support :) 

Love, Sister Davenport 


So... me and sister Perrins found these shirts at WalMart... only in the South will you find these!! Haha they are called "Blessed Girl" and have spiritual quotes on them. Mine I personally love sooooo so much because it explains the South. Literally. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment